Tuesday, March 9, 2010

One of the first memories

It must have been in 1960 and I was just 4 years old. My two older brothers Mike and Pat and two older sisters Melody and Carole were all great at initiating the youngest in the fine art of tree climbing. I don't remember you Dad being there or climbing with us but I do remember that we had a three level tree house. Mom was a wreck and you seemed it was Ok, or at least that is what this 4 year seems to think happened. Maybe Dad you weren't that concerned because you were busy working at the Culligan business you started after the war.

After I turned 5 years old, you sold the business and became ordained as a  deacon and then a Priest. Boy, was I proud of you. I was beaming because I had a Priest for a Father. From that day that you were ordained I wanted to be a Priest like you. In so many ways I wanted to be like you... but later we clashed in life but that time was a very precious memory.

The day you were ordained I sat out on the front steps of the church waiting for the Bishop. When he came I stood up and greeted him I think, but he asked what I wanted to do when I grew up. One thing about it, I was never shy. Without hesitation I said Sir, I want to be a Bishop like you! He promptly began to take off his BIG Bishop's ring the one everyone kisses and gently placed it on my thumb. Dad I know you remember how I felt ten feet tall. 5 years old and wearing a Bishop's ring. Thank God nobody kissed the ring while I was wearing it.

After you were finished in the church with all the riga-ma-rol, I headed for the parish hall for snacks but when you came in dressed in all your Man of the Cloth wears, I was busting with pride. That's my Dad and I Love that you are a "Man of God." Oh, and my goodness could you sing and all those years that you performed in barbershop quartets, before I was born. Never saw it, heard about it but now I could hear you for myself. You gave me a love for music and especially singing that I will never, never, never forget. Thanks!

1 comment:

VASILIKI said...

Do you remember the name of the Church where your father was ordained? You said you remember sitting on the steps but I would love to know what the name of that Church is ...

The Bishop ring is such a cute story: I think each of us has that one fond memory when as a a kid we asked an adult something daring!!

V.